TitlePost Office - Katikati DescriptionThe first Post Office in the Katikati settlement on the left. It was opened in 1880 when the settlement was known as Waterford but the name was soon changed to Katikati to avoid confusion with a Waterford in Ireland. The old Courthouse (now the Police Station) is on the right, while between the two is the old lock-up. The lock-up was eventually moved to the Tauranga Historic Village but has since been returned to Katikati and is behind the Western Bay Museum. The early settlers set up a library and reading room in the courthouse and it was used until the Public Library and Reading Room was built on the Uretara Domain in 1914.
Photo Pat Mayo Date takenc1890sPhotograph Donor/SourcePat Mayo