TitleTown Buildings - Katikati DescriptionThis photograph must have been taken between 1926 & 1936 as the Parish Hall which opened in 1926 is visible, as is the second Pioneer Store, which burnt down in 1936. The image shows the whole cluster of buildings which used to be on the banks of the Uretara Stream and grouped around the Pioneer store. At far left is "Riverview", Noble Alexander Johnston's home. Just showing through the trees is the Anglican Church and the butchers shop and the new Pioneer Store in the foreground. The small hut at the left was the home of Charlie Fletcher, an elderly remittance man and in front is a corn crib. Photo - Pat Mayo
Possible error noted 2 November 2023 by Christine Brunt (nee Taylor): Charles Fletcher was the son of Dr. Thomas Fletcher and farmed the Homewood farm - there is no record of another Charles or Charlie Fletcher as a remittance man, and Charles would not have lived in a hut on the Johnston farm. Photograph Donor/SourcePat Mayo